Heard of monitored alarm systems? Wondering if you can monitor your alarm system yourself? The answer is yes, you can monitor your own home alarm system. However, it’s a less secure option and it puts all the responsibility on you and your household to carry out the appropriate actions if a break-in occurs.
What is Self-Monitoring?
Self-monitoring your home alarm system means that when your alarm system is triggered, ie. there is activity detected on your motion sensors, you will be notified in the form of a phone call or notification. However, it is then up to you to deal with the issue, in terms of speaking to the intruder through the alarm system or calling the police.
In contrast, a professionally monitored home alarm system means that a security provider, also know as a remote monitoring company, are constantly monitoring your alarm system for activity. If a break-in occurs, they can quickly identify if it is a false alarm or whether immediate action needs to be taken. If a response is needed, the monitoring team will choose one that is most appropriate to the situation such as a voice confrontation, the police or other security team call out.
Both self-monitoring and professional monitoring systems are good and safe options, but the effectiveness of a self-monitored alarm system depends on how quickly you can respond to an emergency, your efficiency under a highly pressured and stressful situation, as well as how often you look at your phone or alarm system app.
Why is it Best to Use a Remote Monitoring Company?
A system that is monitored by a remote monitoring company holds a long list of benefits.
- Improve effectiveness of entire security system: Make the most of your security system when it is being professionally monitored and unlock its full potential.
- Quick Response: A remote monitoring company respond immediately to a break-in and are much faster than if you were to do it yourself.
- Increase chance of catching criminals: The fast response of a remote monitoring company means it is more likely the intruder will be caught and brought to justice.
- Cost-effective: A monitored home alarm system can save you money in the long-run, due to having the potential to decrease your insurance premiums, as your home is deemed more secure.
- Increased confidence: Have confidence whilst away from your home or on holiday, knowing that your home is being monitored 24/7.
- Less stress: Peace of mind knowing the responsibility of your home security doesn’t sit entirely on you can decrease your stress levels.
How Much Does Alarm Monitoring Cost?
Home alarm monitoring is usually taken as a monthly cost and covers the constant monitoring of your system.
At Homewatch, our prices start at just £9.99 per month for 24/7 monitoring, 365 day of the year. There really is no price you can put on the safety of your family and home, but with Homewatch, you’ll receive 5* customer service, access to our Homewatch Smart App, as well as the confidence in our reactiveness to intruders, whether that is via an audio, guard or police response.
For more information or for a free quotation, get in touch here or via phone on 0330 094 7404.