The ‘BusinessWatch Group” of companies is the collective name for the various companies acquired by BusinessWatch Holdings Ltd and includes the following :
- Activ Security UK Ltd
- BusinessWatch Fire & Security UK Ltd
- Dom Technical Services Ltd cer
- Fire Safety Express Ltd
- SecuriPlex Ltd
- Trust Security Systems Ltd
- Brand name – “HomeWatch”
- What data we have and why we have it.
- How we manage and encrypt our data.
- Who is responsible for our data.
- How we train our team.
- What we will do if the worst happens
1. What data we have and why we have it.
The BusinessWatch Group of companies need to collect and use certain information about the people we come into contact with, in order to carry out our work and serve our clients to the best of our ability. This personal information is collected and dealt with as set out in the GDPR.
The data we collect and store is:
- First, last name and title* so that we can address you personally in our communications and so that we can differentiate who is who using last names (eg family members and work colleagues at same address).
- Email address so we can : provide in an environmentally friendly way the information required for consideration of our proposal, design etc in the pre installation period; issue engineer/ attendance reports after a visit, appointment reminders when maintenance is due; in the service & support period; in confirmation of emails received; to confirm updated details (eg keyholders) and changes to standard routines as appropriate (eg Bank Holidays) send you useful information occasionally where additional facilities may be beneficial (marketing)
- Physical address* so that we can locate your premises and populate relevant certificates and, postal reminders as email reminder above (where no email is known or this is preferred) or information relevant to your geographical location.
- Telephone numbers so we can keep in touch, ask you how we are doing or to contact you if there is a requirement to book routine visits, ad hoc visits, engineering works and installations plus any change of plan to any meetings arranged and occasionally as an alternative contact to verify another communication.
- Passwords to assist in verifying that you are an authorised person to give instruction and act in respect of the various levels of security in place for your agreed services and supported by the Group of businesses.
2. Data Controller
The BusinessWatch Group of companies is the Data Controller under the GDPR, which means that it determines what purposes personal information held and will be used for. It is also responsible for notifying the Information Commissioner of the data it holds or is likely to hold, and the general purposes that this data will be used for.
The BusinessWatch Group of companies has taken steps to ensure its infrastructure complies with the Cyber Essentials certification of Information technology systems.
The BusinessWatch Group of companies locates its data in a secure protected and encrypted environment. It does not share data with other agencies apart from those outlined in the footnote below*
The BusinessWatch Group of companies intends to ensure that personal information is treated lawfully and correctly.
To this end, the BusinessWatch Group of companies will adhere to the Principles of Data Protection, as detailed in the Data Protection Act 1998.
Specifically, the Principles require that personal information:
- Shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met,
- Shall be obtained only for one or more of the purposes specified in the Act, and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes,
- Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to those purpose(s)
- Shall be accurate and kept up to date,
- Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary,
- Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Act,
- Shall be kept secure by the Data Controller who takes appropriate technical and other measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing or accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal information,
- Shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the UK.
The BusinessWatch Group of companies will, through appropriate management and strict application of criteria and control:
- Observe fully conditions regarding the fair collection and use of information
- Meet its legal obligations to specify the purposes for which information is used
- Collect and process appropriate information, and only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil its operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
- Ensure the quality of information used
- Ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held, can be fully exercised under the Act. These include:
- The right to be informed that processing is being undertaken,
- The right of access to one’s personal information
- The right to prevent processing in certain circumstances and
- The right to correct, rectify, block or erase information which is regarded as wrong information
- Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information.
- Treat people justly and fairly whatever their age, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity when dealing with requests for information
- Set out clear procedures for responding to requests for information
4 . Data collection
Informed consent is when
- An Individual/Service User clearly understands why their information is needed, who it will be shared with, the possible consequences of them agreeing or refusing the proposed use of the data
- And then gives their consent.
The BusinessWatch Group of companies will ensure that data is collected within the boundaries defined in this policy. This applies to data that is collected in person, or by completing a form.
When collecting data, the BusinessWatch Group of companies will ensure that the Individual/Service User:
- Clearly understands why the information is needed
- Understands what it will be used for and what the consequences are should the Individual/Service User decide not to give consent to processing
- As far as reasonably possible, grants explicit consent, either written or verbal for data to be processed
- Is, as far as reasonably practicable, competent enough to give consent and has given so freely without any duress
- Has received sufficient information on why their data is needed and how it will be used
5. Data Storage
Information and records relating to service users will be stored securely and will only be accessible to authorised staff and sub contractors (limited to task in progress).
Information will be stored only for as long as it is needed or required by statute and in line with the rules/ regulations and guidelines of our regulating bodies. It will be disposed of appropriately.
It is the BusinessWatch Group of companies’ responsibility to ensure all personal and company data is non-recoverable from any computer system previously used within the organisation, which has been passed on/sold to a third party.
6. Data access and accuracy
All Individuals/Service Users have the right to access the information the BusinessWatch Group of companies holds about them. The BusinessWatch Group of companies will also take reasonablesteps ensure that this information is kept up to date by asking data subjects whether there have been any changes.
In addition, The BusinessWatch Group of companies will ensure that:
- It has a Data Protection Officer with specific responsibility for ensuring compliance with Data Protection
- Everyone processing personal information understands that they are contractually responsible for following good data protection practice
- Everyone processing personal information is appropriately trained to do so
- Everyone processing personal information is appropriately supervised
- Anybody wanting to make enquiries about handling personal information knows what to do
- It deals promptly and courteously with any enquiries about handling personal information
- It describes clearly how it handles personal information
- It will regularly review and audit the ways it holds, manages and uses personal information
- It regularly assesses and evaluates its methods and performance in relation to handling personal information
- All staff are aware that a breach of the rules and procedures identified in this policy may lead to disciplinary action being taken against them
This policy will be updated as necessary to reflect best practice in data management, security and control and to ensure compliance with any changes or amendments made to the Data Protection Act 1998.
*other relevant stakeholder records within the industry (eg police force, Fire brigade, monitoring station, NSI, BAFE etc as applicable based upon our agreement for services agreed)
If you do not want to receive e-mail from us in the future, please let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling or writing, and telling us that you do not want to receive e-mail from our company.